NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptyToday at 11:52 by Ev

» Maker mark ..
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptyToday at 10:35 by rachelmoore

» Help with potter ID please?
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptySat 18 May - 11:33 by Pippa J

» Crown Lynn teapot shape 787 courtesy of Manos
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptySat 18 May - 8:47 by Ev

» Critters d731
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptyFri 17 May - 18:52 by JanPots

» Oakley Lodge
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptyFri 17 May - 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record

4 posters

Go down

Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record Empty Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record

Post  Ev Thu 7 Dec - 11:39

I came across heaps of Production records of various kinds at the Portage Museum yesterday when it was nearly time to leave.  I will have to spend a whole day processing them sometime.
It's great to see what was made this way and there is another record for cups made with jiggers.
However this record troubles me, in regards to the 7000 shapes, which relate to the Brick Clay vases.  I can understand the Stand for the Flower Pot being made this way, but not the vases.  As I have no hands on experience with Commercial Pottery production processes, I hope someone can help me understand this.  The 1949 Crown Lynn Film shows an Oval being made, which is all that I can relate to.

I have added the full description for my own benefit in brackets.

Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic Jiggers:

4013 Bowl (USA Salad Bowl)
4014 Salad A (USA Large Salad Bowl)
4015 Stand (USA Shallow Oval Dish)
5010 Light Fitting
7017 Stand (for 7016 Flower Pot)(mine is made of white clay)
7018 Vase (4")
7019 Vase (7")
7020 Vase (9")
7021 Vase (10"+)
8010 Dish (Small Oblong Dish)
8011 Stand (Oval Dish)
8012 Plate (Maui plate Expo)
8013 Dish (Oval)
706-01 Basin
706-02 Basin
706-03 Basin
706-04 Basin
706-05 Basin
706-06 Basin
741-10 Dish (Oval)
741-12 Dish (Oval)
760 Sugar
800 Baby Plate
854 Stand (Sauceboat Stand)
862 Light

Last edited by Ev on Sun 10 Dec - 16:42; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17757
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record Empty Re: Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 9 Dec - 9:39

Ev, there are certainly lots of issues raised by this post.

I was not aware of the 7000s numbering for the "Rhodes" vases until now but if this is a unique numbering system (unlike the Wharetana which doubles up with castware numbers) then this firmly dates the vases post-1964.

The use of brick clay within CL and in particular with machine use for white clay is a worry.

Supposedly hand thrown made in a jigger ???

Can someone confirm throwing marks inside the Rhodes vases?

Legend of Maui made in a jigger ???

and so on!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record Empty Re: Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record

Post  Ev Sun 10 Dec - 18:01

I have two of those vases and they are certainly made to look like they are hand thrown, but the bases are shallow and are so similar they could have been made by a machine affraid

I watched Charlie Seakins using a Crown Lynn semi automatic jigger to make plates a few years ago and it was so quick !!!

Steve Aitkin told me that he worked at Crown Lynn in the 1980's as a 'thrower' and had to put rings on plant pots to make them look hand made ..... he didn't say if they pots were cast or jiggered or ram pressed !!

Here is Morris and James making jiggered ware and I can understand plates and bowls and basins .... and I totally get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0th9wcaPtz0

In the Modellers records there are drawings for jiggers for the Ringed Basins.  I can't find anything that relates to vases ~~~!!!!!~~~~

Many of those four digit numbers are in the Ram Press records :O
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  oakpot Thu 21 Dec - 16:17

I don't believe it is possible to manufacture a vase with a waistline on a jigger machine?
Here are two Crown Lynn items manufactured on their machine, as its much quicker than using the slip casting method.

I have watched clay pots being made at the Crum Brick works in New Lynn, also concrete pots made from a sand and cement mix both on a jigger machine.Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record 20171212
Basins and Bowls made on Semi-Automatic jiggers record 20171213

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 21 Dec - 18:18

Thank you so much oakpot. Yes I can see those two being made on a machine and then decorated by Dan with his coloured slips.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 22 Dec - 8:07

Oak pot this is great info re the pot and base you posted. We're all the plant pots in this style made by jigger?
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  oakpot Fri 22 Dec - 19:41

Maryr ,yes thousands of clay pots that shape were made on jigger machines.They were stacked inside one another and placed in the kilns.
Plastic planters put a stop to the sales as they were cheaper to make.

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 23 Dec - 7:25

Thank you very much Oakpot. Have a lovely Christmas.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum