NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with potter ID please?
Potters Cottage EmptySat 18 May 2024 - 11:33 by Pippa J

» Crown Lynn teapot shape 787 courtesy of Manos
Potters Cottage EmptySat 18 May 2024 - 8:47 by Ev

» Critters d731
Potters Cottage EmptyFri 17 May 2024 - 18:52 by JanPots

» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Potters Cottage EmptyFri 17 May 2024 - 16:07 by Kat & Co.

» Oakley Lodge
Potters Cottage EmptyFri 17 May 2024 - 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Potters Cottage EmptyWed 15 May 2024 - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Potters Cottage EmptyWed 15 May 2024 - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Potters Cottage EmptyWed 15 May 2024 - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Potters Cottage EmptyTue 14 May 2024 - 16:25 by signal red

Potters Cottage

2 posters

Go down

Potters Cottage Empty Potters Cottage

Post  TonyK Wed 5 Oct 2016 - 21:32

Potters Cottage was a Victorian initiative that involve some of Australia's mot interesting potters.

http://www.mclaren-pottery.com/HISTORY/PottersCottage.html

I find this pot at the monthly collectibles fair nearby and assume the seller didn't recognise the name as it was a bargain price.

Potters Cottage Dscn3610
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Potters Cottage Empty Re: Potters Cottage

Post  teaandcoffee Wed 5 Oct 2016 - 23:01

Hi Tony,

Its a brilliant idea of yours to offer a few insights on newzealandpottery.net into what went on in Australian ceramics post-war.

I find it very easy to slip into a cosy NZ-centric space, which may be understandable but is a little lazy I think. One day someone is going to write a comprehensive comparative history of post-war Australian and New Zealand studio ceramics (and perhaps even South Africa as the cast of 1930-1955 British guiding hands and institutional genealogy was the same). I imagine the differences will be as interesting as the similarities.

This job has just (2014) been done for New Zealand studio jewellery by Damian Skinner and Kevin Murray - Place and Adornment: A History of Contemporary Jewellery in Australia and New Zealand. Well worth getting in my opinion.

In the meantime you can listen to a worthwhile interview Kim Hill did with Skinner about the book here:
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday/audio/20153908/damian-skinner-jewellery-and-makers

This is a figure I found this week in Hamilton. I think it may be an early 1960s piece by Dorothy Hope at Thrumpster Village Pottery, Port Macquarie.

Potters Cottage Dscf8510

Potters Cottage Dscf8610

Potters Cottage Dscf8511

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Potters Cottage Empty Re: Potters Cottage

Post  TonyK Mon 10 Oct 2016 - 2:57

Simon Manchester has pointed out that ceramics is the only art form that was bringing creatives out to New Zealand during an early development phase of the profession/interest. At the same period that Hamada and Leach were visiting Australia they went to New Zealand. Potters moved across the Tasman often and also met in Europe. Chester Nealie and Mirek Smisek are good examples of people with significant influence in both countries.
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum