NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Identification needed please
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptyToday at 10:16 by Jen

» My $2 pots including John Sepie
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptyTue 17 Sep - 16:08 by Ev

» Another mystery plate? Central daisy with intricate borders
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptyTue 17 Sep - 15:25 by JanPots

» Hazel Kerr
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptyTue 17 Sep - 10:11 by Ev

» Carmel Mary Deely from DCR
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptyTue 17 Sep - 10:05 by Ev

» Mystery signature
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptySun 15 Sep - 21:58 by Raewynsullivan_1

» Mug 1043 Shipping Corp Crown Lynn
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptySun 15 Sep - 12:07 by Ev

» Melita's vlog on Christopher Barron's Titian Pottery
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptySun 15 Sep - 10:43 by Ev

» Steenstra Hand Crafted Basket Weave Vase
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? EmptySun 15 Sep - 7:37 by Ev

Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby?

2 posters

Go down

Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? Empty Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby?

Post  haselnuss Wed 22 Apr - 16:58

These are in the gallery in a white version and somewhere on here in the same colours from Manos collection.

I am just wondering, are they Aquila or Hobby because of the bases. They are not light weight.
Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? Dscn6950Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? Dscn6951Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? Dscn6952Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? Dscn6953Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? Dscn6954
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? Empty Re: Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby?

Post  Ev Wed 22 Apr - 17:21

Gosh they don't look like Hobby Ceramics to me haselnuss, as the painting on the faces has been done by a really good professional. I'm not sure who I L is on the base belongs to, but I would say that this is the professional painters initials.....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17923
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Hobby - Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby? Empty Re: Are these two figures Aquila or Hobby?

Post  haselnuss Wed 22 Apr - 18:07

That is what has been confusing me. The paint job does look so professional and very much like the one done on Manos's piece too. And then the signature which normally lets my Hobby Ceramics alarm bells ring.

I have got the Aquila swan with the Aquila sticker attached and then I purchased one from Trade Me without the sticker but with a really nice paint job and it is a little bigger and lighter. But not as light as "normal" Hobby Ceramics is. It also has a signature which doesn't look "hobby" to me either.

And I have several Flamingoes. Some that are unmarked but 100% Aquila and some that should be but the base is different and some that are slightly bigger.

I have one that it 100% Hobby and I knew that when I purchased it for $6 to compare it with my others.

Well one day when hubby has more time I'll ask him to take pictures so you can all see what I am talking about.

Sometimes traders on Trade Me get away with selling Flamingoes that are Hobby pieces with the artists name and date on the base for hundreds and they can't understand why I question them about this. I hate it when purchasers get ripped off.
They were and might still be sold as green ware and bisque models for Hobby artists.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 22 Apr - 18:11

I think that the Brown family would know the answers.  
One of the Brown boys was the driving force behind the Hobby Ceramics industry in Auckland and it seems that he took his moulds from everywhere, but mostly Titian/Orzel/Aquila and even Crown Lynn.

Last edited by Ev on Wed 22 Apr - 18:34; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17923
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 22 Apr - 18:18

Oh, Yes, I have seen at least 20 different Hobby pieces at the Sallies in Wanganui over the last few months and also a lot at the Sallies in Palmy North. They must have come from the same person because most of the signatures matched.

Lots and lots of Titian and also Crown Lynn molds, mainly vases. I should have taken down the model numbers or taken photos but there is never enough time.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum