NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with potter ID please?
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptySat 18 May - 11:33 by Pippa J

» Crown Lynn teapot shape 787 courtesy of Manos
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptySat 18 May - 8:47 by Ev

» Critters d731
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptyFri 17 May - 18:52 by JanPots

» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptyFri 17 May - 16:07 by Kat & Co.

» Oakley Lodge
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptyFri 17 May - 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl EmptyTue 14 May - 16:25 by signal red

Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl

4 posters

Go down

Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl Empty Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl

Post  mumof1 Fri 21 Sep - 13:00

Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl Dsc02224
Lots of fine ribs all the way from top to bottom
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl Dsc02225
No number, but hand engraved " Crown Lynn Handmade " and the hand potted stamp. Who would have made this I wonder?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl Empty Re: Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl

Post  Ev Fri 21 Sep - 16:38

Apparently there were a few hand potters.
Abernathy or something like that is one that comes to mind.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17755
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl Empty Re: Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl

Post  mumof1 Fri 21 Sep - 16:56

The writing looks to me like the script on the backstamps. I don't know if it should be in the hand potted gallery, as no number, although stamped?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 21 Sep - 19:05

If it is stamped Handpotted, then it should go into the Handpotted Gallery methinks Wink
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno Sat 22 Sep - 8:26

What a beautiful piece of pottery so elegant, I'm jealous.
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 5 Nov - 20:01

I think mumof1 bowl could have been made by Daniel Steenstra.

The incised Crown Lynn looks just like the incised Crown Lynn on other Daniel Steenstra vases.

2tuis red hand made vase.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t6990-h-made-beautiful-red-vase-courtesy-of-2tuis#27496
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl 20151112

Ev's Nr.1 Steenstra vase.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t6070-so-excited-to-have-in-my-hot-little-hands-a-spotty-steenstra?highlight=steenstra
Hand engraved Hand Made / Hand potted bowl Steens11

The crisp lines around the vase remind me of Steenstra's work too.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 6 Nov - 6:40

The handwriting is the same as that on many handpotted pieces from that era. Unless we can get to see Dan Steenstra's hand writing it is hard to say if it was made by him. Personally I don't see his signature deep strong footring, so I will sit on the fence.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 6 Nov - 14:49

I don't agree either. My thoughts are: Whoever signed it is the same person who has hand written on all the other pieces, for example those brown float bowls that are cream inside, with the handwritten Crown Lynn as the only identifying mark. If they were from the 1940's then they couldn't have been signed by Steenstra that early, so he was not the signer. Also, I note that the style used to very similar to the printed early stamps, so may have been used in the interim while stamps were made (arranged or copied from this person's hand), and that is why they look so similar.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Fri 6 Nov - 18:08

The Crown Lynn signature on the 3 brown and cream float bowls posted on the forum and the 2 that I have seen listed on Trade Me are very different to the signature of this bowl and the signatures on the Steenstra green with white dots vases. They have not been signed by the same person.
With that I mean that all the brown bowls have been signed by the same person and the Steenstra dotted vases, the white float bowl and the red hand made vase by another person that in my opinion could have been Steenstra.

I can see your point of the raised rim and that we need to find an example of Daniel Steenstra's handwriting to compare with the signed vases.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum