NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptyToday at 18:56 by JanPots

» Maker mark ..
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptyToday at 10:35 by rachelmoore

» Help with potter ID please?
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptySat 18 May - 11:33 by Pippa J

» Crown Lynn teapot shape 787 courtesy of Manos
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptySat 18 May - 8:47 by Ev

» Critters d731
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptyFri 17 May - 18:52 by JanPots

» Oakley Lodge
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptyFri 17 May - 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure

2 posters

Go down

Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure Empty Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure

Post  Maryr Sun 25 May - 17:00

Note that this post has been edited again in July 2023 to confirm that the jar on the far right was made during the Kiln Craf/Clay Craft period. It was shown to Ernie Cooper (who was a manager/consultant at Kiln Craft/Clay Craft for 18 months) and he confirmed its origin.

Note that this post was edited on 22 June 2015 to correct errors. I originally believed these spice jars to be Kiln Craft but members of the Beach family later told me they were made by Beach Artware in the early to mid 1970s. Beach Artware later changed hands and was renamed  Kiln Craft

I have been pondering these wee spice pots (9.5 cm tall).  And have finally found one that has a very solid match for my Kiln craft mug, right down to the tiny yellowish band at the bottom of the glaze dribble.  So no more umming and ahhing, Kiln Craft/Clay Craft they are! (EDIT as above, most of these jars are from the Beach Artware era.  The jar on the far right however was not recognised by the Beach family. It is either from the Kiln Craft/Clay Craft era, or it is a Hobby Ceramics duplicate. It is possible that the jar next to it is also later than the Beach Artware period.)
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure Kiln_c14

Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure Kiln_c15

This is the base of the mug. The spice jars all have a flat dry base.
Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure Kiiln_11

Last edited by Maryr on Tue 25 Jul - 17:41; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Correct error)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure Empty Re: Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 25 May - 17:04

A lovely little collection of glazes. Takes up lot less room than mugs!

I see you have their sand glaze. Is it matt?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure Empty Re: Spice pots are (mostly) Beach Artware for sure

Post  Maryr Sun 25 May - 17:32

The speckly glaze - assuming made with sand - is very shiny. I found a mint sauce jug with the same glaze in three bands, further confirmation.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 25 May - 18:33

Compare with this, Val: 
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t5179-for-gallery-clay-craft-and-kiln-craft#19336

Maybe they forgot the clear over the top on my wee jug. I have a Beach shape mug in the very shiny sand glaze.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 14 Sep - 17:09

Val,
I'm pretty sure I saw the same mug in a box lot at auction last week with the typical flat Beach base. To much trouble to bother with but. I should have photographed it I guess but I didn't!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum